Skip to content
‘The Downs’ by Rev. Edward Peacock 1
- 'The Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine' vol XI pp 262 - 267
Rev. Edward Peacock and his wife Eleanor lived at Read's Farm (now Lime Trees). Her grandfather, George Reade of Fryern Court, owned most of the copyholds of Martin and Rev. Peacock added considerably to the land she owned by purchase. He became the principle landowner in the village. In 1896 he presented the church with a chair which he'd made and carved. As well as this essay about the Downs, he wrote a short notebook about the village, illustrated with drawings and photographs, which can be seen in the memoir section of this archive.